This gallery contains 6 photos.
FROM CORK TO SOUTH AMERICA, MARRIAGE IN BAGOTA OF GENERAL O’LEARY SON OF JEREMIAH O’LEARY, ESQ., BUTTER MERCHANT, CORK, GRANDFATHER FLORENCE O’LEARY, DUNMANWAY, TO SOLEDAD SOUBLETTE NIECE TO PRESIDENT BOLIVAR. LATER DIPLOMAT IN EUROPE AND BRITISH CHARGE’ DE’AFFAIRS. PRESENT COLLECTION OF PLANTS ANIMALS TO UNIVERSITY COLLEGE CORK.
They went on to have 9 children. He was told after General Bolivar’s death to burn his papers but did not so so and spent his life organising them into a multi volume publication.
From Cork Constitution, 26th June 1830, complied by Mr.McDonnell and in Cork and Present.
There was a plaque to General O’ Leary in a property in Barrack Street, Cork. The re erection of the plaque is on the Council’s commemoration committee agenda plus there is a new bust to O’Leary in Fitzgerald’s Park. /p>
JJ James (Jeremiah) Joseph Callanan, 1786 died Lisbon 1829, Cork Poet bridging Gaelic Irelad with Irish Literature in English, Aonghus Ó Dalaigh, poems.
The Trinity Alumini records record him as Pensioner admitted 6th July 1801, aged 15, Roman Catholic, son of Hogn Pyhsician educated Mr. Lee Vernon 1805 see Allibone.
Presumably a brother slightly different spelling ‘Callinan’ Thomas educated Mr. Barrington admitted 5th July 1802.
Walker’s magazine records a marriage in November 1779 between John Callanan MD and Miss Cooper, Barry’s Court, daughter of William. It is possible that Cooper is a version of Coppinger and might account for his schooling in Cobh.
From Dr. Casey collection.
It is forgotten but a section of the Catholic population survived and some thrived during the Penal Laws. The Callanans appear as apothecaries in Cork, Doctors, and are close to McCarthys, Nagles and O’Learys (of the ‘outlaw’ family Raleigh Macroom) and form a close network. It is from this background that JJ Callinan came. Later his friend Crofton Croker would comment ttaht he spent years living with various friends who were Doctors, Schoolteachers and surprisingly Policemen. One such Doctor was Doctor Burke who practised in the Swquare in Bnatry and was from A Cageragh Landownig family probably assocaited with the mccarthys according to the late Cork Historian John T Collins. It was in Bantry he wrote Gougán Barra.
In the online edition of the Kings Inns Admission papers (Irish Manuscript Commission) p 92 online p 72 text the admission records of James Joseph Callanan gives is date of birth as the 17th January 1786, 3rd son of father John Medical Doctor mother Catherine Coppinger. TCD 1805, MT M 1806 E (Admitted King’s Inns) 1809. The mother’s name is interesting, as the Coppingers are of Danish descent and his friend Crofton Croker describes him as ‘fair’.
A possible cousin also appears on the list for 1800 James Callanan born 1783 2nd son of Michael Apothecary and Elizabeth McCarthy.
The Callinans were the hereditary physicians of the McCarthys:
To continue the McCarthy connection JJ Callanan at one time tutored from a well to do McCarthy family in Millstreet.
Crofton Croker’s description of a man of genius somewhat dissolute exiling himself for years from polite company to spend in West Cork is somewhat reminiscent of the medieval poets such as Aonghus Ó Dalaigh from Kilcrohane.
Subscription list of donations by the Gentlemen of the Parish of Bantry, sent by Father Peter O’Sullivan, Parish Priest of Bantry, West Cork, 8th January 1732 to Bishop Doctor Teige McCarthy Rabagh, against Penal Laws included are The Worthy Mr. Henry Gallwey £1-10-0 his generous and worthy son £1-3s, Nicholas Mead 5/5d, Andrew Morrogh, William Gallwey, John Casey, Patrick Skiddie, Cornelius Sexton, James Gould, Daniel Leahy, Robert Gallwey, and Richard Casey each contributed 2 shillings 8 pence halfpenny, Conformity and the Fishing Trade, Father Walsh parish priest of Durrus and Aonghus Ó Dalaigh, poet.
There is a query as to what coin 5s 5d and 2shillings 8 pence halfpenny represented.
Some of the names Galwey, Mead, Skiddy, Morrogh, Gould were prominent Cork City Catholic Merchant names in the 17th century. It is likely that in 1723 they were involved in the fishing business and Continental trade which was thriving. Later some of the Galweys and Meads conformed to the Church of Ireland. In all probability this was a charade to protect their mercantile interests as the clergyman officiating was Pastor Davies. They were in partnership wiht him in sending cargos of pilchards to Portugal in shares of one sixteenth.
This transcript was obtained by Father TJ Walsh, he had been Parish Priest of Durrus in the 1960s and wrote a History Of Muintervara for the Capuchin Annual. He had a particular interest in the O’Daly Bardic School and especially the poet Aonghus Ó Dalaigh.
His sermons were speckled with such references which unfortunately were lost on his flock.
Some songs of West Cork, from 1880s ‘The Chapel of Charming Rossmore’, ‘Fifty years Ago (The ESB in Coolea), The Rookery, ‘Garnish’, ‘The Banks of Sullane’, ‘A Toast to Beara’, ‘The Shores of Coolough Bay’, ‘The Strands of Ballylickey and the transmission of music and song along the Butter Roads.
Rossmore from Flor Crowley, ‘In West Cork Long Ago’, 1979 Mercier Press
The others from Tomás Ó Canainn’s ‘The Songs of Cork’, publisged by Gilbert Dalton Ltd. 1978.
The late Tomás Ó Canainn was from Derry, a lecturer in Electrical Engineering and Music in UCC. He was a member of the group Na Fíli and played the accordion at the Irish mass in St. Peter and Pauls, in Cork.
Some of the songs in his book such as The Rookery were sung in West Cork but came from Cork City probably with the butter men returning from the butter market in the late 18th and early 19th century.
Pre 1965 farming practices West Cork, Red Elephant and Epicure potatoes, working with the grufán, threshing with the steam engine, winnowing of wheat and oats, working in the bog.
Flor Crowley NT, Behigulane describes farming practices in Dunmanway for small to middling farms which would have been common to Protestant and Catholic farmers from the Famine to the early 1960s. From then on, reclamation, rural electrification and specialisation spelled the end for many of the prctices described.
The page sequence in the PDF is out, note the bottom page number.
Words in Irish from Dunmanway, West Cork from Flor Crolwey NT, Behigullane.
From his book ‘In West Cork Long Ago’, 1979, Mercier. Some of the practises flailing had probably gone out by the early 20th century.
Pages 9 and 10
Out for a day with the Ferret in Dunmanway, West Cork, Long Ago.
From Flor Crolwey’s book ‘In West Cork Long Ago’. Mercier Press 1979. A fascinating account of old times. He was from Behigullane, Dunmanway a National Teacher at Behagh National School. He was a founder of ‘An Ból Chumann na hÉireann’ in 1954 the body regulating road bowlng.
The book is redolent of De Valera’s Ireland of the mid 20th century, the views now seems narrow.
Earliest representation of West Cork person, 1585, Catherine Cullinane, Ballynacarriga Castle, Dunmanway.
In Brian Lalor’s excellent book of sketches and commentary he refers to the earliest portrait of a West Cork person. (Brandon Book Publishers Ltd. 1990)
This is Catherine Cullinane, wife of Randal Hurley who build Ballinacarriga Castle in 1585. The castle was forfeit in 1654 to the Crofts.
Ballynacarriga Castle was built in 1585 by Randal Hurley. (The date 1585 can be seen in a window-recess on the top floor). The castle was forfeited by the Hurleys in 1654, and it passed to the Crofts. It is believed that the castle was used as a chapel as well as a family residence. Locals say that the chapel was still in use until 1815.
Catherine Cullinane is shown in two window embrasures in the main chamber on the upper floor in carvings in low relief. She is shown in Elizabethan Dress, three roses represent her three children. Her initial and those of Randal Hurley are also carved.
Sale by Cant in Chichester House, Dublin 1703 of Galwey lands in East and West Carbery Forfeited, Kilfaghna, Drombeggy, Cullinagh, Dirryleigh, Shrilane, Gortard, Balliisland and ten small islands, Knockeeridane, Castlehaven, Gortard, Creaghm, Coney Island, Baltimore, Raghmore, Cloghanmore, Cloghanbeg, Lissangel, Caheragh, Gortnamuckla Lisalchorig with some tenants listed, Coppingers, Hollow Blade Company, South Sea Bubble.
Those Irish landowners who backed the wrong horse at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 had their lands Forfeit by The English who then went through the charade of a legal sale process. These were processed at Chichester House in Dublin. The Irish Parliament at College Green was built on the site of Chichester House which in turn was built on a former nunnery. Somewhat surprisingly claims of widows and children were sometimes allowed. In the 1730s it was estimated that up to two thirds of the business of the Four Courts in Dublin was taken up with contentious land matters.
Some of the lands were bought by the Hollow Blade Company which financed William Of Orange wars. when they got into trouble with the South Sea Bubble local landowners purchased the lands in the 1720s.
Another family going through the same process was the Coppingers. They were moneylenders/bankers and aaquired the lands through the default of the old Gaelic Landowners who borrowed from them. The Freke/Carbery estate was acquired in this fashion.
The Galweys and Coppingers appear in the records of Cork City from the late 13th century and through changes of religion have proven remarkable for their survival instincts.